Summer Skin Health
For those of you who managed to escape the valley last weekend then today’s blog my not resonate like it will for those who did not escape the heat. The elevated temperatures most likely led to one or two outcomes which was finding a body of water or staying indoors. Both of these options are great ways to stay cool, but are not sustainable and have to be used in moderation. As much as we may want to stay indoors, we still need some sun light for Vitamin D, and to keep our hormones and circadian clock in balance. It is important to remember how strong the suns’ rays are and all the ways you can protect yourself.
Ultra violet (UV) rays are what penetrate our skin and cause accelerated aging, lines, wrinkles, sun spots and most unfortunately skin cancer. There are UVA and UVB rays which affect different areas of the skin so make sure you are using a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against both. Here are a few more tips to protecting and nourishing your skin this summer.
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen of an SPF 30 or higher with zinc oxide, especially for the face and applied indoors.
- Don’t forget about the little areas. Lips, eyes, ears, hands and feet are extremely susceptible to the suns damaging rays.
- Don’t be shy, reapply. Every few hours or as needed.
- Avoid direct sunlight between 10AM and 2PM as these are the harshest hours.
- Utilize a light cotton cover-up or even sun protection fabrics along with a wide brim hat.
- Tinted car windows also protect against UV rays.
- Stay hydrated, your skin needs water!
- Up your antioxidant intake through fruits, vegetables and supplements. This will help your body fight back against oxidative stress and free radicals that cause wrinkles and cancer.
- Find the skin care regimen that fits your skin along with facial products with Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid.
Whether you’re planning a day at the lake or have a 15 minute plus commute to work, precautions should be taken in order to protect your skin. Everyone’s skin is different and has different needs so please remember that all of us at Arizona Natural Medicine® take skin care very serious and are here to assist you.