Health Benefits of Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin necessary for normal growth and development and is also an effective antioxidant that protects our cells and genetic material from damage by free radicals. Vitamin C cannot be made or stored by the body, so it is important to consume a well-balanced diet containing vitamin C or to take a vitamin C supplement. The best food sources of vitamin C are oranges, red bell peppers, kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli, strawberries, grapefruit, guava, kiwi and green bell peppers.
Top five health benefits of Vitamin C:
1) Vitamin C helps in the formation of collagen, the protein substance that keeps the cells together. Vitamin C is active within the cell wall, where it transforms pro-collagen into collagen. Without vitamin C, the formation is interrupted. Lack of collagen can lead to an increase in skin wrinkles. A vitamin C supplement is helpful in preventing premature aging and can also be used to promote wound healing, especially after surgery. It helps to rebuild damaged collagen and also supports the immune system.
2) Taking vitamin C increases the body’s immunity. It acts as a cell protector and a powerful antioxidant. Taking Vitamin C can shorten the duration of a cold or flu. It can also be taken on a daily basis for immune support and prevention of colds and flus.
3) Vitamin C enhances iron absorption. Iron is essential for healthy skin, a clear complexion, brain and muscle support and to prevent or treat iron deficiency anemia. Many iron supplements will contain Vitamin C to aid in absorption.
4) An important health benefit of vitamin C is that it aids in nitric oxide activity. Nitric oxide is essential for dilating blood vessels, preventing artery spasms, and lowering blood pressure. All of these benefits helps to prevent potential heart attacks.
5) Vitamin C is helpful in supporting the mucous membranes that line the respiratory tract. It is an effective treatment for respiratory infections or lung disorders like asthma, bronchitis or allergies. It is especially helpful in treating allergies when it is combined with bioflavonoids.